MODELLJERNBANEFORENINGEN I NORGE (MJF) - forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rebuilding Trix NSB El.12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
richardvoorhaven View Drop Down
Viderekommen
Viderekommen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardvoorhaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rebuilding Trix NSB El.12
    Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 09:37
I purchased a Trix El.12 but the fact that the snow plough is incorrect and the ugly Marklin couplings cannot be replaced/removed is a big minus in my opinion.
So I did some rebuilding. I entirely removed the coupling mechanism (by opening the hood you can do that without making and damage at all). I reoved the old snow plough. Instead I fixed a Roco closed Norrlandsplog (spare part to SJ DA or Dm3 of Roco). The two vertical parts of the Roco coupling have to be shortened a little and then you can glue the snow plough. I used glue that is quite adhesive but can be easily removed (with the idea: should I ever decide to sell the El.12, I can reinstate the loco in its original version).  Here are some pictures of rebuilding result and some of the Roco El.12 to compare. 
Tog View Drop Down
Medlem i MJF
Medlem i MJF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 11:12
Smart solution Richard. Keep up the good work.
Håvard H View Drop Down
Medlem i MJF
Medlem i MJF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Håvard H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 11:16
Originally posted by richardvoorhaven richardvoorhaven wrote:

So I did some rebuilding. I entirely removed the coupling mechanism (by opening the hood you can do that without making and damage at all). I reoved the old snow plough. Instead I fixed a Roco closed Norrlandsplog (spare part to SJ DA or Dm3 of Roco). The two vertical parts of the Roco coupling have to be shortened a little and then you can glue the snow plough. I used glue that is quite adhesive but can be easily removed (with the idea: should I ever decide to sell the El.12, I can reinstate the loco in its original version).  

A great improvement!
Asgeir View Drop Down
Fremo og MjF medlem
Fremo og MjF medlem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asgeir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 12:46
A nice improvment and solutuon!

Since you own both versions, how are the models compared to each other?
Marklin are made in metal and Roco in plastic which will make a difference, but what loco makes the best overall impretion?
Asgeir

Bygger NSB og litt SJ 50-tallet
richardvoorhaven View Drop Down
Viderekommen
Viderekommen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardvoorhaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 13:35
well I like the Roco model better. I do not understand why Trix/Marklin ask EUR 500 for a model and do not include a decent covered Norrlandsplog. Apart from that, the details on the Roco model are a bit more filigrane. The bolts on the Trix model look not as fine as those on the Roco model. All in all, the Trix loco looks not as detailed as the Roco loco looks. but the difference in that aspect is small. The pantographs of the Trix model are nices, but they are in silver metal. They need to be airbrushed to have a more realistic look. The sound of the sound decoder of the Roco model is more detailed then the sound of the Trix model. Finally, the Trix decoder is more difficult to handle with my ESU ECOS-central than the Roco locomotive with Zimo decoder. 
If you would have to chose, I would consider the Roco El.12 the better option. 
Tog View Drop Down
Medlem i MJF
Medlem i MJF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 15:30
This is my opinion too. I ain't got the slightest idea why I should go buying Märklin or Trix as long as Roco or other serious manufacturers can offer the same model to a satisfactory price. From my point of wiew Märklin might as well change their name to Jurrasic Park.
Asgeir View Drop Down
Fremo og MjF medlem
Fremo og MjF medlem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asgeir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 18:13
Thank you Richard for sharing your opinion.

It is pretty close to mine after looking at pictures of the models and reading on some forums. I am going for the Roco model and are looking forward to get around 45 pieces (should be 65) of Mas orewagons behind of Roco, UGJ and Trix production.
Asgeir

Bygger NSB og litt SJ 50-tallet
TorsteinS View Drop Down
Medlem i MJF
Medlem i MJF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorsteinS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 22:24

Originally posted by richardvoorhaven richardvoorhaven wrote:

well I like the Roco model better. [...] Apart from that, the details on the Roco model are a bit more filigrane. [...]

But at least Märklin/Trix got the height of the side windows of the cabs right, while they are too small on Roco's version.

einjen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 januar 2014 at 22:40
Thank you Richard.
As I just purchased the Trix model, this was very interesting.
There's no doubt about it that tne new new snow plow gives it a nicer finnish.

As others have commented: 
There's something about the weight of the trix model that feels very right. 
How about the Roco model. Does weigh as much, or less? Does the wight give anything to the quality of the model?
--

Einar Næss Jensen

Words of wisdom are easily spoken, but they are cheap talk

http://einarblog.homemade.no/einarblog
 Post Reply Post Reply