MODELLJERNBANEFORENINGEN I NORGE (MJF) - forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I purchase this loco?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Gjester
Gjester
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I purchase this loco?
    Posted: 13 august 2012 at 14:24
Hello, Sorry but I can only speak and understand English, I would like to know please where to purchase a 21c/21e 202 2-6-0 locomotive , I have seen pictures of the model and it looks like it is a kit , the actual loco was built in 1919 in Norway and based on a design by a Scotsman, does anyone know please where and how I could obtain it and how much it would cost ? 
ses View Drop Down
Fremo og MjF medlem
Fremo og MjF medlem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 august 2012 at 16:13

There was available a kit of NSB class 21 for some (25?) years ago, but I doubt if it is available any more. To get hold of it, assembled or unassemled, you have to try various Internet forums (like this one) to see if anyone are willing to sell.

A comment on the "design by a Sctosman". I wrote an article for some decades ago, probably with the translated title "David Jones Locomotives" which where about classes 11, 12 and 13, which we at that time (1980-ies) thought were constructed by greate influence of David Jones at Highland Railway i Scotland. We saw some similarites between the Higland Railway Jones Goods, a 4-6-0 engine built i 1894 by Sharp Stuart. The first Norwegian engines of class 11 (which is a forerunner of class 15, which again is a model for class 21) where built by Dübs, Glasgow. These enigens where however built before the Jones Goods engines, and the specifications given by NSB chief engineer Oxaal to Dübs, are very detailed and with little room for modifications, so the connection to Mr. David Jones is probably exaggerated, if existing at all.

Svein S
Håvard H View Drop Down
Medlem i MJF
Medlem i MJF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Håvard H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 august 2012 at 16:13
Originally posted by a1xmac a1xmac wrote:

Hello, Sorry but I can only speak and understand English, I would like to know please where to purchase a 21c/21e 202 2-6-0 locomotive , I have seen pictures of the model and it looks like it is a kit , the actual loco was built in 1919 in Norway and based on a design by a Scotsman, does anyone know please where and how I could obtain it and how much it would cost ? 

The Norwegian company ScanTrain made a kit for a type 21c quite a few years back. It has not been available for quite some time.

I don´t think ScanTrain is in business anymore, so your best bet is to find a second-hand kit.

Edited by Håvard H - 13 august 2012 at 16:14
Guests View Drop Down
Gjester
Gjester
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 august 2012 at 17:49
Thanks very much for the reply & info, I will try various sources and ways of getting this model including various model forums as you kindly suggested/
Mr Bridger View Drop Down
Fremo og MjF medlem
Fremo og MjF medlem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bridger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 august 2012 at 21:03
There are various prototypes from producer "Steinar&Steinar" in existence. Hopefully these will result in a kit in a not so distant future :)

Here are a few pictures of a type 21e, built by Steinar Jeppestøl : http://www.autoclassic.no/amjk/sjuskogen/nyhet12.html

Edited by Mr Bridger - 13 august 2012 at 21:04
Tore Hjellset, Tønsberg

Grimstadbanen    

Guests View Drop Down
Gjester
Gjester
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 august 2012 at 22:15
Thanks Mr Bridger , I guess I will just have to wait for Steinar&Steinar to produce a kit. Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply